Skip to content

Composer options on nodebb

Solved Configure
8 2 2.3k 1
  • I have made posts on the nodebb forum about this, but have additional question here.
    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable? in settings I only see this option

    Screenshot_20230615_102942_Chrome~2.jpg

    What option does this even do? What is it meaning by route?

  • I have made posts on the nodebb forum about this, but have additional question here.
    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable? in settings I only see this option

    Screenshot_20230615_102942_Chrome~2.jpg

    What option does this even do? What is it meaning by route?

    @Panda said in Composer options on nodebb:

    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable?

    I think it is, but you need a function or a plugin to change it. What most people do is target the buttons they do not not need or want in CSS and hide them. I agree with the picture upload - there are two actually - one for pictures themselves which is obvious, and one for files.

    in settings I only see this option

    All this setting does is allow the composer to start in a new window independently and not part of the current form.

  • @Panda said in Composer options on nodebb:

    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable?

    I think it is, but you need a function or a plugin to change it. What most people do is target the buttons they do not not need or want in CSS and hide them. I agree with the picture upload - there are two actually - one for pictures themselves which is obvious, and one for files.

    in settings I only see this option

    All this setting does is allow the composer to start in a new window independently and not part of the current form.

    @phenomlab there are 3 icons actually that can be confused for upload image, the first is upload pic by url. This confuses people as it uses the conventional pic icon that people associate with uploading an image.
    So how using CSS (uggghh) can I stop that one showing in the composer iconbar?

  • @phenomlab there are 3 icons actually that can be confused for upload image, the first is upload pic by url. This confuses people as it uses the conventional pic icon that people associate with uploading an image.
    So how using CSS (uggghh) can I stop that one showing in the composer iconbar?

  • @phenomlab
    Ok thanks, so I assume I add something like this to custom css

    /* removing buttons from composer */
    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="????"] {
      display: none;
    }
    

    How can i find out what ??? = for url pic, if thats one I want to disable ?
    Where are these icon names defined

  • @phenomlab
    Ok thanks, so I assume I add something like this to custom css

    /* removing buttons from composer */
    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="????"] {
      display: none;
    }
    

    How can i find out what ??? = for url pic, if thats one I want to disable ?
    Where are these icon names defined

    @Panda Here you go

    6e2191b0-c777-459a-82e8-cf14840c7f9c-image.png

  • Pandaundefined Panda has marked this topic as solved on
  • Back with another question, as although you gave me the list, I cant workout which ids are:
    orangle circled (for thumbnail)
    Purple circled (dont know what)
    IMG_20230615_143459_129.jpg

    Im trying to get as many removed so that pic upload appears without needing to scroll!

  • Back with another question, as although you gave me the list, I cant workout which ids are:
    orangle circled (for thumbnail)
    Purple circled (dont know what)
    IMG_20230615_143459_129.jpg

    Im trying to get as many removed so that pic upload appears without needing to scroll!

    @Panda You should be able to expose the CSS for these using F12 to get into console

    3591518c-e3a3-4ada-a43c-6b32a5e0359c-image.png

    a2b8ed46-4157-4ff2-85f0-576543380107-image.png

    That should then expose the element once selected

    89d9c545-a47a-40d1-98f4-80cf3b958e8f-image.png

    Here’s the below CSS you need based on the screenshot provided.

    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="picture-o"], .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="spoiler"] {
        display: none;
    }
    

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • What plugins are being used here on Sudonix?

    Solved General nodebb plugins development
    6
    5 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @Roki-Antic Welcome! This site isn’t running Persona, but Harmony - a very heavily customised version at that. Do you have a URL where your site is currently located that is publicly accessible? Feel free to PM this info if you do not want to disclose here. Happy to help with any customisation needs.
  • Nodebb icon on google page

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    9
    1
    4 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    @Panda It’s been raised multiple times, but only for the open source version, and not hosted.
  • Composer Zen icon?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW exactly. Not really a new concept, and in all honesty, not something I’ve ever used. If you consider the need to add links and references, or citations, you’d need to be able to see other parts of the screen!
  • Chevron up before & after

    Solved Configure nodebb
    11
    1
    4 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    @crazycells you are right thank you.
  • Podcast Share NodeBB

    Solved Configure podcast nodebb
    15
    4 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay You could experiment with nodebb-plugin-ns-embed but I expect the x-origin tag on the remote site to prevent playback.
  • Configure SMTP for Nodebb

    Solved Configure
    14
    5 Votes
    14 Posts
    4k Views
    @marusaky based on the work completed thus far (in relation to PM exchanges), I’m going to mark this completed. Sending email from the server itself works fine without issue, and DNS appears to be clean (valid SPF, DMARC, and DKIM records). It appears that only Gmail marks incoming messages from your domain as spam - perhaps because of the domain age, which there is nothing we can do to prevent this. Mail delivery to all other domains appears to work fine in al of my tests.
  • nodebb dropdown menu

    Solved Configure nodebb
    5
    1
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in nodebb dropdown menu: @kurulumu-net You set it like the below example taken from this site [image: 1637939951821-aae36790-3257-4bb2-ad5a-0d744309876a-image.png] Which presents this [image: 1637939983445-77f47260-2941-4afe-9614-8e17dcfc8c19-image.png] Very interesting… I actually thought this wasn’t possible, as I remember it being asked in the NodeBB forum. Is this something new that’s been implemented? I’ll 100% be doing that when I’m on the laptop over the weekend.
  • NodeBB vs Discourse

    Chitchat nodebb discourse board
    25
    6 Votes
    25 Posts
    13k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB vs Discourse: Hetzner eh ? I use them also. In fact, Sudonix is hosted in Nuremberg yes i’m also at hetzner, i have been a customer there for years with a reseller account for domains. My VPS that I host there are also in Nuremberg