Skip to content

NodeBB: Upgrading to NodeBB v3.x

Solved Configure
6 3 2.3k 1
  • Hi @phenomlab

    I would like to upgrade my current NodeBB installation to the new NodeBB v3.x and use Harmony theme. How do I do this?

  • Hi @phenomlab

    I would like to upgrade my current NodeBB installation to the new NodeBB v3.x and use Harmony theme. How do I do this?

    @mventures As @DownPW stated, stop the NodeBB service from the command line as below, perform the upgrade, then start it up again

    ./nodebb stop
    git fetch && git checkout develop && git reset --hard origin/develop
    ./nodebb upgrade
    ./nodebb start
    
  • Hi @phenomlab

    I would like to upgrade my current NodeBB installation to the new NodeBB v3.x and use Harmony theme. How do I do this?

    @mventures As @DownPW stated, stop the NodeBB service from the command line as below, perform the upgrade, then start it up again

    ./nodebb stop
    git fetch && git checkout develop && git reset --hard origin/develop
    ./nodebb upgrade
    ./nodebb start
    
  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • Hey @phenomlab @DownPW Thank you for that “script”. Is that what you call it?

    I am on a MacBook and I opened the TERMINAL. Do I just type the script given above? How does the command know to engage with my website, my VPS server, etc? Maybe, there is a step I am missing before typing in these scripts.

  • @phenomlab

    Adding to my last comment, would these my steps be for the UPGRADE part?

    1. Open Terminal

    2. Paste the script from @DownPW

    3. Quit Terminal

    4. Then, for the “START IT UP AGAIN” part, how is that done?
      Do I log back in as Admin on my forum, then got to ACP and look for a “start” button?

  • Hey @phenomlab @DownPW Thank you for that “script”. Is that what you call it?

    I am on a MacBook and I opened the TERMINAL. Do I just type the script given above? How does the command know to engage with my website, my VPS server, etc? Maybe, there is a step I am missing before typing in these scripts.

    @mventures You’d need to connect to the server and execute it directly - not on your local terminal. Review the guide below, which will show you how to gain access via SSH to your server

    https://docs.ovh.com/gb/en/dedicated/ssh-introduction/

    Once you have access, you’ll need to navigate to the actual folder where NodeBB is installed

    You’ll then need to change to the directory as shown below

    /home/unbuntu/nodebb
    

    fdffe673-bf63-4b6d-a728-5506fddc1aff-image.png

    In most cases, initial access takes you to the root of the file system. You can always issue pwd in a Linux terminal which will show you the Present Working Directory. From there, you can issue the command

    cd /home/ubuntu/nodebb
    

    Once in the NodeBB directory, you’d use the below commands

    ./nodebb stop
    git fetch && git checkout develop && git reset --hard origin/develop
    ./nodebb upgrade
    ./nodebb start
    

    Line 1 stops the NodeBB instance
    Line 2 gets the latest files from GIT (repository) and then checks out the development branch. It then resets the version you are using to the development branch ready for v3
    Line 3 Runs the upgrade once the new branch is set, and code pulled
    Line 4 Restarts the NodeBB instance after the upgrade has completed

    Note that when you restart NodeBB and log back in, things will look very different to what you had in v2.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab referenced this topic on

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Nodebb to Xenforo

    Solved Configure xenforo nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @cagatay as @downpw stated, there isn’t a native tool that will do this for you. You’d need to either develop your own or ask the nodebb team to assist which will be a paid exercise.
  • Composer options on nodebb

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    3 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda You should be able to expose the CSS for these using F12 to get into console [image: 1686833368846-3591518c-e3a3-4ada-a43c-6b32a5e0359c-image.png] [image: 1686833399483-a2b8ed46-4157-4ff2-85f0-576543380107-image.png] That should then expose the element once selected [image: 1686833431032-89d9c545-a47a-40d1-98f4-80cf3b958e8f-image.png] Here’s the below CSS you need based on the screenshot provided. .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="picture-o"], .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="spoiler"] { display: none; }
  • Embedding external URLs

    Solved General embed plugin nodebb v3.x
    3
    3 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    Many thanks! I’ll use your walkthrough and go for the self-hosted solution.
  • NodeBB v3 Android Problem

    Solved Configure nodebb android
    4
    4 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    thank you fixed.
  • NodeBB: hCaptcha

    Solved Configure hcaptcha
    15
    2 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @mventures none that I know of. I don’t recall selecting these either for mine.
  • Gettin Erors NodeBB

    Solved Configure nodebb eror
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab no forum is working goods. there is no eror message since yestarday.
  • NodeBB metadata

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB metadata: @jac Are you sure ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&sxsrf=AOaemvLwnaZL-PliU_2dBOg_Eo1pMVhBjg%3A1638982328139&source=hp&ei=uOKwYeatBcOsad3yp7AE&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbDwyLBSDcG5XYoFCKwQFhgz94wTxOcV&ved=0ahUKEwjm6dX71NT0AhVDVhoKHV35CUYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4QgAQQsQM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6BQgAEJIDUABYySZg0CdoAHAAeACAAW2IAa0NkgEEMjMuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz Fair enough 🤪🤪.
  • Iframely (Nodebb)

    Solved Configure
    40
    4 Votes
    40 Posts
    15k Views
    @DownPW This is now resolved. The issue was an incorrect URL specified in the Nodebb plugin. I’ve corrected this, and now it works as intended.