Skip to content

NodeBB: The global Search option

Solved Configure
5 2 1.4k 1
  • Hi,
    I noticed both on the NodeBB forum, Sudonix forum, and mine also, there is no Search functionality. I would like this very much because I would like people to search for a past answer before asking for a new one. Maybe, I am looking at the wrong place, or do I need to activate it from admin?

  • My apologies! I have found the Search field on NodeBB and your site. I just need to figure out how to get it on my site. Could it be because I have no posts yet?

    @mventures Not quite - it’s because of this

    ff0a9849-5815-4c7a-853a-808fd325a779-image.png

    It’s installed, but not activated by default

    f6280a04-ace2-43a6-8e9a-4614efecba84-image.png

    Every time you install or uninstall a plugin, you need to rebuild NodeBB

    c638615a-4597-41f6-ad32-b552c8433c06-image.png

    f539df98-cb0c-4875-abf4-b61a60333ad5-image.png

    f311a7a0-05b7-4036-820d-85661410369b-image.png

    Confirm, and wait for NodeBB to restart

    bd46bebc-58c6-400a-a3f3-1bd09e17a5b0-image.png

    b1b5263e-f68a-4a34-99b6-5147979fb8af-image.png

    Now go back to your site

    You should see that Search has appeared

    39af2e82-15ec-4add-a758-f422b60c43ba-image.png

    I’ve done all of this for you, so this is for reference.

    Regds

  • My apologies! I have found the Search field on NodeBB and your site. I just need to figure out how to get it on my site. Could it be because I have no posts yet?

  • My apologies! I have found the Search field on NodeBB and your site. I just need to figure out how to get it on my site. Could it be because I have no posts yet?

    @mventures Not quite - it’s because of this

    ff0a9849-5815-4c7a-853a-808fd325a779-image.png

    It’s installed, but not activated by default

    f6280a04-ace2-43a6-8e9a-4614efecba84-image.png

    Every time you install or uninstall a plugin, you need to rebuild NodeBB

    c638615a-4597-41f6-ad32-b552c8433c06-image.png

    f539df98-cb0c-4875-abf4-b61a60333ad5-image.png

    f311a7a0-05b7-4036-820d-85661410369b-image.png

    Confirm, and wait for NodeBB to restart

    bd46bebc-58c6-400a-a3f3-1bd09e17a5b0-image.png

    b1b5263e-f68a-4a34-99b6-5147979fb8af-image.png

    Now go back to your site

    You should see that Search has appeared

    39af2e82-15ec-4add-a758-f422b60c43ba-image.png

    I’ve done all of this for you, so this is for reference.

    Regds

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • That’s awesome @phenomlab! Thank you. I can see it 🙂

    What did you mean by, “rebuild NodeBB”? And the whole rebuild happens by just clicking that “recycle” button?

  • That’s awesome @phenomlab! Thank you. I can see it 🙂

    What did you mean by, “rebuild NodeBB”? And the whole rebuild happens by just clicking that “recycle” button?

    @mventures Yes, exactly. The other icon will restart NodeBB whilst the first icon I referenced will rebuild (recompile) it.

    The huge strength of NodeBB over Flarum (for example) is that the code is precompiled, and called once at boot. PHP’s code has to repeatedly reload code from source making it much slower.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • External Links - New Window

    Solved Customisation nodebb links settings
    8
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @Sampo2910 search the forum here for ogproxy which is the client side version of that plugin I wrote. It’s in use here on this forum.
  • What is this bar called?

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    92
    1
    36 Votes
    92 Posts
    37k Views
    This is good
  • Composer Zen icon?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW exactly. Not really a new concept, and in all honesty, not something I’ve ever used. If you consider the need to add links and references, or citations, you’d need to be able to see other parts of the screen!
  • Composer options on nodebb

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    3 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda You should be able to expose the CSS for these using F12 to get into console [image: 1686833368846-3591518c-e3a3-4ada-a43c-6b32a5e0359c-image.png] [image: 1686833399483-a2b8ed46-4157-4ff2-85f0-576543380107-image.png] That should then expose the element once selected [image: 1686833431032-89d9c545-a47a-40d1-98f4-80cf3b958e8f-image.png] Here’s the below CSS you need based on the screenshot provided. .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="picture-o"], .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="spoiler"] { display: none; }
  • NodeBB: Consent page

    Solved Configure nodebb consent
    16
    4 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    @DownPW I still do not see any issues.
  • NodeBB: Favicon upload issue

    Solved Configure nodebb favicon
    12
    1
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab I am on a Mac, so I used the “Option + Command + I”, and then performed the steps. It loaded my favicon! I checked on Firefox which I haven’t used before, and it showed my favicon also! That’s fantastic and thank you for the help!
  • Podcast Share NodeBB

    Solved Configure podcast nodebb
    15
    4 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay You could experiment with nodebb-plugin-ns-embed but I expect the x-origin tag on the remote site to prevent playback.
  • nodebb dropdown menu

    Solved Configure nodebb
    5
    1
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in nodebb dropdown menu: @kurulumu-net You set it like the below example taken from this site [image: 1637939951821-aae36790-3257-4bb2-ad5a-0d744309876a-image.png] Which presents this [image: 1637939983445-77f47260-2941-4afe-9614-8e17dcfc8c19-image.png] Very interesting… I actually thought this wasn’t possible, as I remember it being asked in the NodeBB forum. Is this something new that’s been implemented? I’ll 100% be doing that when I’m on the laptop over the weekend.