Skip to content

IRC Server/Client - Chat App with NodeBB

Linux
6 3 2.9k 1
  • Hello @all @phenomlab

    NodeBB haven’t got a great chat plugin or native chat system.
    Global chat plugin is very good but he haven’t got moderation tools and it’s a problem.

    For my test, I research a good IRC server for Debian 11 to install on my VM.
    I would like to have Moderation Tools and a GUI for the Configuration (Moderation ,channels etc…)

    For the Client, I have install The Lounge on the VM, it’s a server client IRC wirth GUI, he is very great 😉

    There may be better than IRC servers/clients, but the IRC server/The lounge combo has the advantage of being quite simple without necessarily having user databases.
    Afterwards, if we have a app or system that can interface with the NodeBB user database, that would be great. (IRC server too)

    Thanks my friends

  • Hello @all @phenomlab

    NodeBB haven’t got a great chat plugin or native chat system.
    Global chat plugin is very good but he haven’t got moderation tools and it’s a problem.

    For my test, I research a good IRC server for Debian 11 to install on my VM.
    I would like to have Moderation Tools and a GUI for the Configuration (Moderation ,channels etc…)

    For the Client, I have install The Lounge on the VM, it’s a server client IRC wirth GUI, he is very great 😉

    There may be better than IRC servers/clients, but the IRC server/The lounge combo has the advantage of being quite simple without necessarily having user databases.
    Afterwards, if we have a app or system that can interface with the NodeBB user database, that would be great. (IRC server too)

    Thanks my friends

    @DownPW My personal take on this is that NodeBB is a forum application first and foremost, and it’s PM system is arguably much better than those whom have previously attempted this (Flarum for example). With applications such as Discord, I (personally) see little room for a product like NodeBB to compete, and, a chat plugin would defeat the objective of a forum in the sense that it is not designed to retain archived information useful for other visitors to the site.

    In addition, I see this as harmful to Google searches and general SEO. The chat plugin discussions would not be public, meaning that any useful information contained in the chats themselves are inaccessible to others.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab marked this topic as a regular topic on
  • So sorry Mark @phenomlab for my answer delay, I’ve been pretty busy lately 😞

    I respect your point of view on this.
    however, I would like to test this even for fun.

    After research, I will install InspIRCd for test and Use The Lounge for the client.

    I see rocketchat too but I have no fund a great tutorial for install.

    I’m still looking for a way to interface the NodeBB database (user/password) with another chat application.

    The goal would be for a NodeBB user to be able to use their nodeBB credentials to connect to chat (Irc or other applications)

    cya 😙

  • So sorry Mark @phenomlab for my answer delay, I’ve been pretty busy lately 😞

    I respect your point of view on this.
    however, I would like to test this even for fun.

    After research, I will install InspIRCd for test and Use The Lounge for the client.

    I see rocketchat too but I have no fund a great tutorial for install.

    I’m still looking for a way to interface the NodeBB database (user/password) with another chat application.

    The goal would be for a NodeBB user to be able to use their nodeBB credentials to connect to chat (Irc or other applications)

    cya 😙

    @DownPW I think RocketChat is the most popular these days. I also know there is a plugin that allows NodeBB sessions to persist across applications so that night be worth looking at in terms of authentication.

  • We still use Skype 🤣 these days it’s very slow, we thought of switching to discord for our internal use but we don’t want to miss chay history.

    Chatmantra .io or something is also really nice

  • We still use Skype 🤣 these days it’s very slow, we thought of switching to discord for our internal use but we don’t want to miss chay history.

    Chatmantra .io or something is also really nice

    @Hari not sure from the consumer perspective, but Skype has been all but completely consumed by Microsoft Teams when it comes to business usage.


Related Topics
  • Nodebb to Xenforo

    Solved Configure xenforo nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @cagatay as @downpw stated, there isn’t a native tool that will do this for you. You’d need to either develop your own or ask the nodebb team to assist which will be a paid exercise.
  • Which email client do you use?

    Discussion email client
    56
    22 Votes
    56 Posts
    23k Views
    @phenomlab said in Which email client do you use?: @DownPW Isn’t this more of an email server in it’s own right rather than an email client? Oh yes sorry… I didn’t pay attention
  • Fixed background to nodebb forum

    Solved Configure nodebb
    25
    4 Votes
    25 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda said in Fixed background to nodebb forum: Chatgpt told me the ::before method. Go figure
  • Nodebb design

    Solved General nodebb
    2
    1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @Panda said in Nodebb design: One negative is not being so good for SEO as more Server side rendered forums, if web crawlers dont run the JS to read the forum. From recollection, Google and Bing have the capability to read and process JS, although it’s not in the same manner as a physical person will consume content on a page. It will be seen as plain text, but will be indexed. However, it’s important to note that Yandex and Baidu will not render JS, although seeing as Google has a 90% share of the content available on the web in terms of indexing, this isn’t something you’ll likely lose sleep over. @Panda said in Nodebb design: The “write api” is preferred for server-to-server interactions. This is mostly based around overall security - you won’t typically want a client machine changing database elements or altering data. This is why you have “client-side” which could be DOM manipulation etc, and “server-side” which performs more complex operations as it can communicate directly with the database whereas the client cannot (and if it can, then you have a serious security flaw). Reading from the API is perfectly acceptable on the client-side, but not being able to write. A paradigm here would be something like SNMP. This protocol exists as a UDP (UDP is very efficient, as it is “fire and forget” and does not wait for a response like TCP does) based service which reads performance data from a remote source, thus enabling an application to parse that data for use in a monitoring application. In all cases, SNMP access should be “RO” (Read Only) and not RW (Read Write). It is completely feasible to assume complete control over a firewall for example by having RW access to SNMP and then exposing it to the entire internet with a weak passphrase. You wouldn’t do it (at least, I hope you wouldn’t) and the same ethic applies to server-side rendering and the execution of commands.
  • restarting nodebb on boot

    Unsolved Configure nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @eeeee said in restarting nodebb on boot: can I just run nodebb under nodemon for auto restarts? It’s a better method. Nodemon just looks for file system changes and would effectively die if the server was rebooted meaning you’d have to start it again anyway. Systemd is the defacto standard which is how the operating system interacts in terms of services, scheduled tasks etc.
  • [NODEBB] Welcome Message

    Solved Customisation css html nodebb
    20
    2
    13 Votes
    20 Posts
    8k Views
    @DownPW the ‘js’ code for the banner takes the time from the client, so what it displays really depends on the regional settings for the operating system. I’ve not seen this issue myself but would like to see some examples of screenshots if possible.
  • NodeBB Discord Plugins

    Unsolved Customisation nodebb discord plugin
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    @RiekMedia hi. Just following up on this thread (I know it’s old) but was curious to understand if it’s still an issue or not ?
  • SASL LOGIN authentication failed: generic failure

    Moved Solved Linux
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    @Ash3T I’m going to mark this post as solved as I’ve not heard from you in a while. Let me know if this isn’t the case and you need more help.