Skip to content

Advantages and disadvantages of changing to Ubuntu?

Linux
28 2 10.7k

Related Topics
  • Fedora Server + Virtualmin

    Chitchat fedora server linux virtualmin
    1
    1 Votes
    1 Posts
    130 Views
    No one has replied
  • To the Window to the Linux . . .

    Pinned Linux arch linux windows endoflife
    22
    19 Votes
    22 Posts
    7k Views
    @phenomlab said: @Madchatthew ouch. Sounds nasty. Did you get to the bottom of why it happened? I believe it is due to not everything getting upgraded because i wasn’t checking on the different packages I had installed from the AUR. Then when I ran yay it was like, hey would you like to update all of these things that you haven’t updated in months, perhaps years or ever for that matter and I was like yes please If you don’t have yay there are no notifications that you need more updates than what you realize. Chrome was staying updated because it would give me a notification, but there was the nvidia package that needed to be upgraded as well and I had never upgraded it. I didn’t realize it and should have. Then some of those packages use cmake and that needed to be updated as well. So using yay is beneficial to make sure you get all the updates you need.
  • Arch Linux | Reflector

    Linux arch linux pacman reflector updates
    4
    4 Votes
    4 Posts
    5k Views
    I have another update for reflector that I just figured out. You will want to edit the following file and add details to make sure that every time it updates the mirror list, it is grabbing them from your country and I grab 10 and sort them by rate. This will ensure that your mirrorlist isn’t getting populated with links from other countries which can slow down you downloads. sudo nano /etc/xdg/reflector/reflector.conf This is what the file looks like. # Reflector configuration file for the systemd service. # # Empty lines and lines beginning with "#" are ignored. All other lines should # contain valid reflector command-line arguments. The lines are parsed with # Python's shlex modules so standard shell syntax should work. All arguments are # collected into a single argument list. # # See "reflector --help" for details. # Recommended Options # Set the output path where the mirrorlist will be saved (--save). --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist # Select the transfer protocol (--protocol). --protocol https # Select the country (--country). # Consult the list of available countries with "reflector --list-countries" and # select the countries nearest to you or the ones that you trust. For example: --country US # Use only the most recently synchronized mirrors (--latest). --latest 10 # Sort the mirrors by synchronization time (--sort). --sort rate Here are the different flag options that you can change or add to this file. I found this on google by searching arch linux reflector flags. Filtering Options (What to find) --country <CODE/Name>: Selects mirrors from specific countries (e.g., US, France,Germany). Use {Link: reflector --list-countries https://archlinux.org/mirrors/status/}, for a full list. --protocol <http|https>: Filters for HTTP or HTTPS mirrors. --age <hours>: Only includes mirrors synced within the last X hours (e.g., --age 12). --delay <hours>: Limits to mirrors with a reported sync delay of X hours or less (e.g., --delay 0.25 for 15 mins). --latest <N>: Limits results to the top N newest mirrors. Sorting Options (How to order) --sort rate: Sorts by download speed (requires testing, can be slow). --sort age: Sorts by most recently synced. --sort score: Sorts by overall score. --sort country: Sorts by country, useful with multiple countries. Output Options (Where to put it) --save <path>: Writes the filtered/sorted list to a file (e.g., /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist). --verbose or -v: Shows detailed progress and mirror info.
  • Arch Linux | KDE Plasma Guide

    Moved Guides arch linux kde desktop guide
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab you are very welcome. I have bookmarks but it is also nice to have this info out there for other people to use as well, and also a place I can go to grab it again if I lose my bookmarks haha
  • Arch Server Progress

    Chitchat arch linux server web server
    64
    31 Votes
    64 Posts
    24k Views
    @phenomlab I think I am going to switch to this theme eventually. The one I have is ok, but the price for this theme and what you get with it is really good. The business has broken even and is actually making some money now. We will see what the future holds. I am hoping to start getting enough business so I am behind 2 to 3 months. So we will see. My Arch web server has been working great! No issues with it so far. The only thing lately was the mail server software being updated, and they broke everything. I was able to make the required changes and get it back working and it has been working amazingly so far. I am still really happy I switched to Arch Linux Server and I haven’t had to reinstall the whole operating system due to this switch.
  • Rename videos in bulk - linux commands

    Unsolved Tips gopro linux commands
    12
    4 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    @Hari Yes, that’s one (of many) I would recommend. It’s going to be easier to do this under Windows and the fact that you are already connected using SMB is a huge plus.
  • Ubuntu Upgrade All Packages

    Solved Linux mangodb sudonix
    3
    3 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab Upgraded, everything works
  • Digitalocean Ubuntu configuration

    Solved Linux
    33
    12 Votes
    33 Posts
    13k Views
    @phenomlab thank you! not me