Skip to content

Following the API docs but its not clear ...

Solved Customisation
8 2 2.3k 1
  • I want some widget code to be able to make a topic post in certain circumstances
    I generated an API key under userID 1
    but Im unsure where to put this key, in some APIs it would go as a BearerID in the body, and sometimes it goes as a key concatenated to the endpoint…
    but its not specified in the docs exactly how to do it
    https://docs.nodebb.org/api/write/#tag/topics
    Also usually you would expect to have to supply a Method type as POST?
    The code is currently along these lines

    const bodyData={
    "cid": 1,
    "title": "Test topic",
    "content": "This is the test topic's content",
    "timestamp": 556084800000,
    "tags": [
    "test",
    "topic"
    ]
    }
    const key='c56.. //redcated
     fetch(
       `https://aignite.nodebb.org/api/v3/topics/', bodyData
    )
    .then(response => response.json())
    .then( data=> {....
    

    I wonder if you don’t have to supply the key if its done with an Authentication cookie, but the above code doesnt work.
    Perhaps the bodyData parameter is in wrong place?

  • I want some widget code to be able to make a topic post in certain circumstances
    I generated an API key under userID 1
    but Im unsure where to put this key, in some APIs it would go as a BearerID in the body, and sometimes it goes as a key concatenated to the endpoint…
    but its not specified in the docs exactly how to do it
    https://docs.nodebb.org/api/write/#tag/topics
    Also usually you would expect to have to supply a Method type as POST?
    The code is currently along these lines

    const bodyData={
    "cid": 1,
    "title": "Test topic",
    "content": "This is the test topic's content",
    "timestamp": 556084800000,
    "tags": [
    "test",
    "topic"
    ]
    }
    const key='c56.. //redcated
     fetch(
       `https://aignite.nodebb.org/api/v3/topics/', bodyData
    )
    .then(response => response.json())
    .then( data=> {....
    

    I wonder if you don’t have to supply the key if its done with an Authentication cookie, but the above code doesnt work.
    Perhaps the bodyData parameter is in wrong place?

    @Panda Here’s how I’ve done it using basic CURL commands in PHP - you should be able to gain an understanding of structure at least.

    $ch = curl_init();
    
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, 'http://localhost:5001/api/v3/topics');
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, "title=api test post&content=the contents of the test post&cid=1&_uid=1");
    
    $headers = array();
    $headers[] = 'Authorization: Bearer d2b8602d-01a6-86ee-bbe4-0e016144be0c';
    $headers[] = 'Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded';
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, $headers);
    
    $result = curl_exec($ch);
    if (curl_errno($ch)) {
        echo 'Error:' . curl_error($ch);
    }
    curl_close($ch);
        
        }
        // Item has already been processed. Continue loop until count exhausted
        else {
            echo "Checking " .
                "\nLine item already processed - \033[33m[Ignored]\n\033[0m";
        }
    }
    
  • @Panda Here’s how I’ve done it using basic CURL commands in PHP - you should be able to gain an understanding of structure at least.

    $ch = curl_init();
    
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, 'http://localhost:5001/api/v3/topics');
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, "title=api test post&content=the contents of the test post&cid=1&_uid=1");
    
    $headers = array();
    $headers[] = 'Authorization: Bearer d2b8602d-01a6-86ee-bbe4-0e016144be0c';
    $headers[] = 'Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded';
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, $headers);
    
    $result = curl_exec($ch);
    if (curl_errno($ch)) {
        echo 'Error:' . curl_error($ch);
    }
    curl_close($ch);
        
        }
        // Item has already been processed. Continue loop until count exhausted
        else {
            echo "Checking " .
                "\nLine item already processed - \033[33m[Ignored]\n\033[0m";
        }
    }
    

    @phenomlab
    OK. The official docs are lacking in detail (in comparison to usual API example docs)
    They omit any mention of headers and BearerID - which it seems from your example are required.
    How did you figure out that combination? Did you see more extensive documentation?

    I will try and replicate the same with a JS fetch, if not I will make a topic on NodeBB Community

  • Update, adding those fields in …

    The API code doesn’t work from a widget, but from a stand-alone hosted code it gives this error
    Error with Permissions-Policy header: Origin trial controlled feature not enabled: ‘interest-cohort’.
    Is that like a CORS issue? Is there a fix for that?

  • Update: It was a CSRF token issue.
    I hadn’t even heard of one of those 😁

  • @phenomlab
    OK. The official docs are lacking in detail (in comparison to usual API example docs)
    They omit any mention of headers and BearerID - which it seems from your example are required.
    How did you figure out that combination? Did you see more extensive documentation?

    I will try and replicate the same with a JS fetch, if not I will make a topic on NodeBB Community

    @Panda said in Following the API docs but its not clear ...:

    How did you figure out that combination? Did you see more extensive documentation?

    There’s documentation all over the Internet in relation to curl and not really “NodeBB” specific. It’s one of the headers and required for authentication.

    A search for curl on NodeBB also shows this in detail

    https://community.nodebb.org/search?term=Curl&in=titlesposts&matchWords=all&showAs=posts

  • @Panda said in Following the API docs but its not clear ...:

    How did you figure out that combination? Did you see more extensive documentation?

    There’s documentation all over the Internet in relation to curl and not really “NodeBB” specific. It’s one of the headers and required for authentication.

    A search for curl on NodeBB also shows this in detail

    https://community.nodebb.org/search?term=Curl&in=titlesposts&matchWords=all&showAs=posts

    @phenomlab
    Yes just searched
    Found some curl things on a PhP related post on NodeBB now …
    I’m quite surprise anyone was using Curl and PhP with NodeBB !

  • @phenomlab
    Yes just searched
    Found some curl things on a PhP related post on NodeBB now …
    I’m quite surprise anyone was using Curl and PhP with NodeBB !

    @Panda you’d be surprised. If you consider that you’d need to use the API to be able to populate a WordPress widget for example (which in turn would of course be PHP), taking this route is still immensely popular.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Page control arrows for PWA

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    27
    25 Votes
    27 Posts
    13k Views
    @crazycells it is, yes - I think I’ll leave it as there is no specific PWA CSS classes I know of. Well, you could use something like the below, but this means multiple CSS files for different operating systems. /** * Determine the mobile operating system. * This function returns one of 'iOS', 'Android', 'Windows Phone', or 'unknown'. * * @returns {String} */ function getMobileOperatingSystem() { var userAgent = navigator.userAgent || navigator.vendor || window.opera; // Windows Phone must come first because its UA also contains "Android" if (/windows phone/i.test(userAgent)) { return "Windows Phone"; } if (/android/i.test(userAgent)) { return "Android"; } if (/iPad|iPhone|iPod/.test(userAgent) && !window.MSStream) { return "iOS"; } return "unknown"; // return “Android” - one should either handle the unknown or fallback to a specific platform, let’s say Android } Once you’re in that rabbit hole, it’s impossible to get out of it.
  • Whitespace fixes in Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    18
    2
    7 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    @Panda Just circling back here with something of an update (which I think you’ll like). I’ve completely restructured the ranking system. There are now less ranks, with a higher point threshold to reach them. More importantly, if you reload the site, you’ll notice that the ranks are now icons. I also removed the “Author” badge, and made this a single icon, which (to me) looks much better.
  • Where are widgets stored?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @phenomlab Thanks, have DMed you
  • NodeBB: Consent page

    Solved Configure nodebb consent
    16
    4 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    @DownPW I still do not see any issues.
  • Upgrade Problem from 2.8.3 to 2.8.4

    Solved Configure nodebb
    35
    1
    8 Votes
    35 Posts
    10k Views
    @cagatay No, you can ignore that.
  • NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme

    Discussion nodebb theme
    22
    13 Votes
    22 Posts
    11k Views
    Been playing with the user profile page this afternoon. Thought I’d post a video as I’m really pleased with how this came out profile-screen-capture.webm
  • NodeBB slow after DB recovery

    Solved Performance performance nodebb
    1
    5 Votes
    1 Posts
    889 Views
    No one has replied
  • [NodeBB] Import custom Font

    Solved Customisation custom fonts nodebb css
    12
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay you’ll need to define this in the body tag (or another element if you want greater or more granular targets) - for example body { font-family: "Poppins"; font-size: 16px; } Essentially, you use the font-size CSS directive.