Skip to content

Smart Widgets

Solved Configure
9 2 2.6k 1
  • I have an idea for a smart Widget,

    1. Without getting into the details of that yet, here is a more basic widget idea as an example.
      Lets say my html /js widget says
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”)
      Is there a global variable that the js can access to get say, current logged in name?
      So in this example, you could put
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”+userName) in the widget code.

    2. I notice Sudonix has a Yellow box widget ‘Looks like your connection was lost…’
      What js command is used in the Widget to pick up when connection drops?

  • I have an idea for a smart Widget,

    1. Without getting into the details of that yet, here is a more basic widget idea as an example.
      Lets say my html /js widget says
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”)
      Is there a global variable that the js can access to get say, current logged in name?
      So in this example, you could put
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”+userName) in the widget code.

    2. I notice Sudonix has a Yellow box widget ‘Looks like your connection was lost…’
      What js command is used in the Widget to pick up when connection drops?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    Is there a global variable that the js can access to get say, current logged in name?
    So in this example, you could put
    ctx.fillText(“Hello”+userName) in the widget code.

    Yes, if you visit this site on a desktop, you’ll see that there is a footer bar that uses this exact function to display the logged in username.

    More detail here
    https://sudonix.org/topic/314/bottom-footer-navbar-button-extend/17?_=1685477223864

    I notice Sudonix has a Yellow box widget ‘Looks like your connection was lost…’
    What js command is used in the Widget to pick up when connection drops

    It’s a command from NodeBB core that uses socket.io

  • Thanks, I read through those posts. I tend to do more in js on canvas than CSS etc, and definitely dont want to use Jquery!
    So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

  • Pandaundefined Panda has marked this topic as solved on
  • Thanks, I read through those posts. I tend to do more in js on canvas than CSS etc, and definitely dont want to use Jquery!
    So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

    You could expose it this way

        function updateUsername() {
            $('.getUsername .username').text(app.user.username);
            $('.topicUsername').text(app.user.username);
        }
        if (document.readyState === 'loading') {
            document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', updateUsername);
        } else {
            updateUsername();
        }
    

    So in your use case, it would be

    ctx.fillText('name='+app.user.username);
    
  • Thanks, I read through those posts. I tend to do more in js on canvas than CSS etc, and definitely dont want to use Jquery!
    So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    definitely dont want to use Jquery!

    Any specific reason for this?

  • I like to do things Vanilla unless there is real need for a library.
    Thats what I most disliked about Nextjs, even a basic project starts with a directory full of autogenerated files, and I had so many times when nothing was working.
    What would be the non-JQ way of doing this please?
    $(‘.getUsername .username’).text(app.user.username);

    chatgpt tells me
    document.querySelector(‘.getUsername.username’).textContent=app.user.username

    So that seems just as easy, so why use JQ?

  • I like to do things Vanilla unless there is real need for a library.
    Thats what I most disliked about Nextjs, even a basic project starts with a directory full of autogenerated files, and I had so many times when nothing was working.
    What would be the non-JQ way of doing this please?
    $(‘.getUsername .username’).text(app.user.username);

    chatgpt tells me
    document.querySelector(‘.getUsername.username’).textContent=app.user.username

    So that seems just as easy, so why use JQ?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    So that seems just as easy, so why use JQ?

    Because the library is already loaded in NodeBB, and forms a major part of the platform.

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17117/what-s-next-after-v3/17?_=1685522832798

  • Thanks. it worked. Actually It turned out
    ct1.fillText(app.user.username … etc
    worked without even running that function to ‘expose it’
    So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object?

  • Thanks. it worked. Actually It turned out
    ct1.fillText(app.user.username … etc
    worked without even running that function to ‘expose it’
    So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object?

    It is, yes, but not if you are using it outside of a widget. The function I wrote is also historical and comes from the 2.x train 🙂


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Opening links in nodebb widget

    Solved Configure nodebb
    6
    4 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    A more efficient way of including this would be to not over complicate it and leverage a standard iframe (providing the CSP headers of the remote site permit this) like below <iframe src="https://www.classmarker.com/online-test/start/?quiz=gag66aea7922f0a5" width="700" height="800"></iframe> This works first time every time on your site as intended.
  • MogoDB v6 to v7 upgrade

    Solved Configure nodebb
    5
    1 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda if you used the Ubuntu PPA, I think this only goes as far as 6.x if I recall correctly.
  • Interesting Widget code, but can't fetch API

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    26
    2 Votes
    26 Posts
    10k Views
    @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: How did you drop that widget into the post there? I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already? Yes, here https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044 It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets. @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that? By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget. Hope this makes sense?
  • Where are widgets stored?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @phenomlab Thanks, have DMed you
  • 14 Votes
    69 Posts
    55k Views
    @phenomlab Seems to be better with some scaling fix for redis on redis.conf. I haven’t seen the message yet since the changes I made # I increase it to the value of /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn tcp-backlog 4096 # I'm uncommenting because it can slow down Redis. Uncommented by default !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #save 900 1 #save 300 10 #save 60 10000 If you have other Redis optimizations. I take all your advice https://severalnines.com/blog/performance-tuning-redis/
  • 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @qwinter this particular site uses the code I wrote if you want to see it in action. It’s a information and intelligence gatherer I designed for collecting various information security articles from around the globe and consolidating them in one place. Essentially, each “post” is in fact generated by the script, and the NodeBB API. https://hostrisk.com/
  • creating topic specific widgets

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    16
    10 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    @crazycells said in creating topic specific widgets: Additionally if hide class exists, why are we re-defining it? We’re not 🤭 I misspelled it - it should be hidden
  • Social icon (Nodebb)

    Solved Customisation nodebb social
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab said in Social icon (Nodebb): @jac I just tested my theory around using the OG image, and according to the Twitter card validator, it works fine [image: 1638880098289-73e805e1-997b-41bf-9259-51c5052ca8fc-image.png] fixed