Skip to content

Fedora Server + Virtualmin

Chitchat
1 1 130
  • I want to start out and say that, no, I am not Linux flavor jumping around. I was curious with how Fedora would be as a server. There is a community server that is built for use, so I downloaded that. My impression of this setup is a good one.

    I installed Fedora Server in a virtual machine on Arch Linux, Arc Linux has been my daily driver for quite some time now. I believe it has been over a year, but maybe I am just not good at keeping track of time. Anyway, I installed Fedora Server on a virtual machine. Now Virtualmin doesn’t have Fedora listed on it’s Grade A Supported Systems list, but it is on their Grade B Supported Systems list. So I thought, well why not. I really like Fedora so let’s try it.

    With a fresh install of Fedora Server installed, I downloaded script and after a few attempts with which switches to use, Virtualmin was up an running in no time. I went through the Virtualmin setup process via the web page and viola! I was then able to use Virtualmin on Fedora Server and it looks and feels exactly the same. It runs quick on Fedora Server as well.

    So why would I do this you ask? Let me tell you! Because I wanted to see if it would even work. Then i thought well if it did work, then maybe that might even be a more stable way of running a web server without having to reinstall the whole operating system everytime the OS is upgraded. Which was the whole reason I moved to Arch Linux. Which by the way is running fantastically well. The email software had a major breaking update, but that didn’t have anything to do with Arch Linux.

    My thinking was that if I ever have to build a new server, I just may use Fedora. You aren’t using the newest rolling updates like in Arch Linux, so your upgrades in between versions would be longer. Speaking of upgrades, I have a couple of Fedora Servers running on two different machines using virtual machine.

    I performed the upgrades on each of them. One I was on the machine itself, and the other I remoted into. Of course the upgrade process is different. You need to upgrade your system using sudo dnf update and then letting the system update. To update to the lates version of the OS you have to use sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=XX with “XX” being the latest version. Then you run sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot and this is where the magic happens. Now you get disconnected in the terminal, but with the Virtual Machine Manager you can open that and see what is happening. I watched the upgrade go through it’s process, which was just showing so many files out of so many files being updated but then when it was done, Fedora Server rebooted itself and I was able to remote back in and verify that it was indeed upgraded.

    I went into Virtualmin and did some refreshing and Virtualmin also verified that the latest Fedora Server was running. The websites were back up that I just threw together to test and everything was running right as rain.

    So you could say that I am impressed with how Fedora Server is holding up. One of the downsides, is that when you do upgrade the OS to the newest version, your sites are down for that amount of time. Unlike with Arch Linux your sites are only down for however long it takes to reboot. So there are some trade offs there.

    With Fedora Server you get a little longer in between upgrades, so the chances of things breaking are less. I do have to say that so far with Arch Linux and the rolling releases, I have not yet had anything break from doing upgrades.


Related Topics
  • To the Window to the Linux . . .

    Pinned Linux arch linux windows endoflife
    22
    19 Votes
    22 Posts
    7k Views
    @phenomlab said: @Madchatthew ouch. Sounds nasty. Did you get to the bottom of why it happened? I believe it is due to not everything getting upgraded because i wasn’t checking on the different packages I had installed from the AUR. Then when I ran yay it was like, hey would you like to update all of these things that you haven’t updated in months, perhaps years or ever for that matter and I was like yes please If you don’t have yay there are no notifications that you need more updates than what you realize. Chrome was staying updated because it would give me a notification, but there was the nvidia package that needed to be upgraded as well and I had never upgraded it. I didn’t realize it and should have. Then some of those packages use cmake and that needed to be updated as well. So using yay is beneficial to make sure you get all the updates you need.
  • Linux on a Stick

    Linux linux usb arch
    29
    16 Votes
    29 Posts
    10k Views
    @DownPW I haven’t tried either of those, I am sure they run fast as well. Linux is so versatile it is awesome!
  • Arch Server Progress

    Chitchat arch linux server web server
    64
    31 Votes
    64 Posts
    24k Views
    @phenomlab I think I am going to switch to this theme eventually. The one I have is ok, but the price for this theme and what you get with it is really good. The business has broken even and is actually making some money now. We will see what the future holds. I am hoping to start getting enough business so I am behind 2 to 3 months. So we will see. My Arch web server has been working great! No issues with it so far. The only thing lately was the mail server software being updated, and they broke everything. I was able to make the required changes and get it back working and it has been working amazingly so far. I am still really happy I switched to Arch Linux Server and I haven’t had to reinstall the whole operating system due to this switch.
  • Arch Linux + Me = Crazy

    Linux arch linux web server vps
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    @Madchatthew hmm, yes, that might be problematic.
  • Error certification on virtualmin/Nginx

    Solved Linux cert virtualmin nginx
    17
    2
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    6k Views
    @DownPW anytime
  • Killing Linux Zombie Processes

    Tips zombie linux
    3
    7
    2 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW odd indeed. Looks like it’s spawning, immediately dying, then spawning again.
  • Virtualmin Setup DigitalOcean

    Solved Customisation virtualmin digitalocean
    26
    9 Votes
    26 Posts
    11k Views
    @Hari said in Virtualmin Setup DigitalOcean: i have felt it is very hard to manage Virtualmin the settings are confusing It’s a bit of a learning curve, admittedly, but very powerful and easy to use provided you understand the implications of what you are doing. For example, moving a VirtualMin server to subserver and then back again without changing underlying components that rely on the correct placement of the server, of course it will no longer work.
  • 2 Votes
    28 Posts
    11k Views
    @phenomlab said in Advantages and disadvantages of changing to Ubuntu?: @jac Yeah, I wouldn’t just leap into it unless you have a valid reason (such as the laptop no longer working and needing to be reinstalled). Probably better the devil you know currently. Absolutely mate, and generally as discussed that is the only time I have changed over to Ubuntu once the laptop has got slower. For now I will carry on with Windows, purchase the VPN & BitDefender in later October / early November and then see how all that runs for a few more months .