Skip to content

Material View Support for Stock NodeBB

Unsolved Let's Build It
51 3 23.7k 1
  • better with video :

    blink3.gif

  • better with video :

    blink3.gif

    @DownPW You’re missing a hook 🙂

    I’ve added this

    $(window).on('action:topics.loaded', function (data) {
        material();
    });
    
    

    Works now !

  • @phenomlab said in Material View Support foir Stock NodeBB:

    @DownPW Did you review the classes as I mentioned?

    yes but added the wrong class name, it’s better now.

    I’m here at the moment.

    JS :

    // ------------------------------------------
    // material View Mode
    // ------------------------------------------
    
    function material() {
        $(document).ready(function () {
            // Check if the screen width is 460px or more
            if ($(window).width() >= 460) {
                // Check if the custom thread view button already exists
                if ($('#materialThreadViewButton').length === 0) {
                    // Create the button for custom thread view mode with custom IDs
                    var threadViewButton = $('<div class="material-threads-wrapper"><form class="form"><div class="form-check form-switch material-threads-wrapper"> \
                        <input class="form-check-input" id="materialThreadViewButton" type="checkbox" data-field="materialThreadView"> \
                        <label class=" d-none d-md-inline fw-semibold" for="materialThreadViewButton"></label> \
                    </div></form></div>');
                    
                    // Append the button to the right sidebar
                    $('[component="sidebar/right"]').append(threadViewButton);
                }
                
                // Check if there's a stored state for the checkbox and update it
                var storedState = localStorage.getItem('materialThreadViewState');
                if (storedState === 'true') {
                    $('#materialThreadViewButton').prop('checked', true);
                }
                
                // Toggle the class 'material' on or off when the checkbox changes state
                $('#materialThreadViewButton').on('change', function () {
                    var isChecked = $(this).is(':checked');
                    var theTooltip = isChecked ? "Material Thread View Off" : "Material Thread View On"; // Update tooltip message
                    
                    // Toggle CSS rules when the button is turned on or off
                    if (isChecked) {
                        console.log('Material Thread view is active.');
                        // Apply your CSS rules here
                        $('[component=post]').addClass('material'); 
                        $('[component="category/topic"]').addClass('material'); 
                        $('[component="categories/category"]').addClass('material');
                    } else {
                        console.log('Material Thread view is inactive.');
                        // Remove the CSS rules here
                        $$('[component=post]').removeClass('material');
                        $('[component="category/topic"]').removeClass('material');
                        $('[component="categories/category"]').removeClass('material');
                    }
                    
                    // Store the checkbox state in localStorage
                    localStorage.setItem('materialThreadViewState', isChecked);
                    
                    // Update the tooltip title
                    $(this).attr('data-original-title', theTooltip).tooltip('dispose').tooltip({
                        placement: 'bottom',
                        title: theTooltip,
                        trigger: 'hover'
                    });
                });
    
                // Check for changes in the checkbox state when the page loads
                $('#materialThreadViewButton').trigger('change');
            }
        });
    }
    
    // Attach the material function to relevant events
    $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function (data) {
        material();
    });
    
    $(window).on('action:posts.edited', function (data) {
        material();
    });
    
    $(window).on('action:posts.loaded', function (data) {
        material();
    });
    

    CSS :

    .material-threads-wrapper {
        display: flex;
        left: 5px !important;
        position: relative !important;
    }
    
    @media (min-width:460px) {
    
    [component=post].material, [component="category/topic"].material, [component="categories/category"].material { 
        background: #F7F7F7 !important;
        border-radius: 0.375rem;
        margin-bottom: 20px;
        padding-left: 20px;
        border: 1px solid var(--bs-border-color);
    }
    
    }
    

    – There are quite a few things left, for example:

    • if we scan the recent or unread ones, the rest is not in the background :

    f3fe08cf-fbc1-4f47-8497-866557c4ec25-image.png

    • And the block + timeline in the topics :
      35beb3bc-8871-4689-b31c-cd2c489907a4-image.png

    I would also like to change the button which is not suitable for a vertical display

    For the moment, I haven’t found for all of that but I’m looking for.

    @DownPW said in Material View Support foir Stock NodeBB:

    I would also like to change the button which is not suitable for a vertical display

    You could rotate it?

    .material-threads-wrapper {
        display: flex;
        left: 5px !important;
        position: relative !important;
        transform: rotate(45deg);
        margin-left: -2px;
        margin-top: 5px;
    }
    

    fc9f46cc-2235-47fe-a613-3baa9d5aa436-image.png

  • @DownPW could you pls share updated and enclosed codes for css and js?

  • @cagatay The code is not mature yet. There is still work to be done and phenomlab will have to validate it because I am not a developer

    @phenomlab said in Material View Support foir Stock NodeBB:

    You could rotate it?

    yep sure it’s better 🙂
    but I was thinking of a 2-state radio button like the form-switch because I believe Bootstrap offers it if I don’t say bullsh*t.

  • @cagatay The code is not mature yet. There is still work to be done and phenomlab will have to validate it because I am not a developer

    @phenomlab said in Material View Support foir Stock NodeBB:

    You could rotate it?

    yep sure it’s better 🙂
    but I was thinking of a 2-state radio button like the form-switch because I believe Bootstrap offers it if I don’t say bullsh*t.

    @DownPW said in Material View Support foir Stock NodeBB:

    but I was thinking of a 2-state radio button like the form-switch because I believe Bootstrap offers it if I don’t say bullsh*t.

    Something like this?

    https://jsfiddle.net/milanandfriends/p9AaY/

  • yes maybe, I had thought about that but just one button not two but why not :

    image.png

    https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/forms/checks-radios/

    I’m not closed off I’m trying to see what could be better.

  • see this @phenomlab

    the element is perfect regardless of the mode engaged but a refresh does not replace it correctly.
    A missing hook?

  • see this @phenomlab

    the element is perfect regardless of the mode engaged but a refresh does not replace it correctly.
    A missing hook?

    @DownPW No. More likely a CSS class is not being applied on load.

  • hmm that doesn’t help me much 🙂

  • hmm that doesn’t help me much 🙂

    @DownPW Add this to your existing css class of

    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline [component="topic/event"].timeline-event, .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline [component="topic/necro-post"].timeline-event
    
        margin-left: 52px;
    

    So you land up with

    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline [component="topic/event"].timeline-event, .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline [component="topic/necro-post"].timeline-event {
        margin-bottom: 10px;
        margin-left: 52px;
    }
    

    That will fix it.

  • no it’s worse 🙂

    Maybe, the best would be to add a .material class but I can’t do it at the moment

  • no it’s worse 🙂

    Maybe, the best would be to add a .material class but I can’t do it at the moment

    @DownPW I remember this same issue now when I came across it whilst writing the threaded function. The problem here is that [component="topic/necro-post"] actually isn’t present in the DOM on page load, but added afterwards. This is why once the page has loaded, you can target the element with the toggle switch because it is in the DOM at the time. Because the this specific element is loaded afterwards, you cannot target it if it doesn’t exist.

    This effectively means you cannot add a class to an element that is not there. To work around this, you’d either have to wait for the page to load, add the necro element, then target it.

    Or, use the CSS I provided, and then “counter” it using other CSS when the class is removed. This is what I do in thwe threaded function.

    Raised this as an issue here

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17590/necro-function-dom-changes

    EDIT - should work now 🙂

    I’ve added a loop in your material function that looks specifically for the necro post

    $('[component="topic/necro-post"]').each(function () {
         // Add the 'material' class to matching elements
         if ($(this).hasClass('timeline-event')) {
         $(this).addClass('material');
         }
     });
    

    And also (on the advice of Baris) added a new hook as below

    $(window).on('action:topic.loaded', function (data) {
        material();
    });
    

    There are two separate hooks that look very much the same, but do different things (one has an “s” at the end, whilst the other doesn’t - “action:topic.loaded” and “action:topic%(#fa0000)[s].loaded”

    Now it works as intended 🙂

  • ohh yes better 🙂

    I undersxtand for adding .each(function () for [component=“topic/necro-post”]

    I have read the thread on nodeBB communauty. On the other hand, I don’t really understand the difference for the hook in topic and topicS

  • ohh yes better 🙂

    I undersxtand for adding .each(function () for [component=“topic/necro-post”]

    I have read the thread on nodeBB communauty. On the other hand, I don’t really understand the difference for the hook in topic and topicS

    @DownPW I think the difference is that the topic hook is for single, and topics for a selection. Makes sense, but not very well explained in the documentation!

  • Thanks for explain. Make sense, indeed but it’s not easy to know without Baris help 🙂


    Still with the idea of improving the code, I’m going to focus now on making the selection button appear on Smartphone.

    Indeed, currently, it does not appear because it seems that on Smartphone another component is used

    b46c3d29-7f77-4f85-b207-790f2f10378b-image.png

    10d1925e-fad1-42e0-b209-12fcc9dc6ca5-image.png

  • I test this :

    // ------------------------------------------
    // material View Mode
    // ------------------------------------------
    
    function material() {
        $(document).ready(function () {
            var $buttonContainer = null;
    
            // Check if the screen width is 460px or more
            if ($(window).width() >= 991) {
                // Check if the custom thread view button already exists in the right sidebar
                $buttonContainer = $('[component="sidebar/right"]');
            } if ($(window).width() <= 991) {
                // Check if the custom thread view button already exists in the bottom bar
                $buttonContainer = $('[component="bottombar"]');
    
            }
    
    
  • I test this :

    // ------------------------------------------
    // material View Mode
    // ------------------------------------------
    
    function material() {
        $(document).ready(function () {
            var $buttonContainer = null;
    
            // Check if the screen width is 460px or more
            if ($(window).width() >= 991) {
                // Check if the custom thread view button already exists in the right sidebar
                $buttonContainer = $('[component="sidebar/right"]');
            } if ($(window).width() <= 991) {
                // Check if the custom thread view button already exists in the bottom bar
                $buttonContainer = $('[component="bottombar"]');
    
            }
    
    

    @DownPW yes, the same methodology is used for the theme switcher in NodeBB v2.x 😀

  • ohh yes, don’t see that to be honest.

    Button appear but hard to position it correctly for all resolution.
    The button moves according to the resolution. it is not fixed

  • ohh yes, don’t see that to be honest.

    Button appear but hard to position it correctly for all resolution.
    The button moves according to the resolution. it is not fixed

    @DownPW if you use apend then it should reflect the div it is inserted into.

    The version of the theme switcher from the NodeBB v2 series used the same mechanism, and that code is still listed in this forum. It would be a good idea to review that code for inspiration as the placement for the switcher drop down was set depending on screen estate.


Related Topics
  • Threaded chat support for NodeBB

    Let's Build It threaded chat code
    35
    1
    19 Votes
    35 Posts
    15k Views
    @DownPW said in Threaded chat support for NodeBB: Better like this : add shadow and border-left on self answer Of course - you style to your own requirements and taste I’ll commit that CSS we discussed yesterday also
  • Threaded post support for NodeBB

    Let's Build It threading nodebb
    146
    3
    50 Votes
    146 Posts
    104k Views
    Updated git for above change https://github.com/phenomlab/nodebb-harmony-threading/commit/14a4e277521d83d219065ffb14154fd5f5cfac69
  • Rotating Star Effect

    Solved Let's Build It wordpress css
    17
    12 Votes
    17 Posts
    5k Views
    @phenomlab thanks a lot for these, both of the below are awesome! https://codepen.io/bennettfeely/pen/vYLmYJz https://codepen.io/C-L-the-selector/pen/MWZbWBo
  • [NodeBB] Custom fields plugin

    Unsolved Customisation nodebb plugins javascript custom
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @pwsincd hi. Just following up on this thread (I know it’s old) but was curious to understand if it’s still an issue or not ?
  • [NodeBB] greeting message

    Solved Customisation css nodebb javascript
    2
    1
    3 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    @pwsincd welcome to sudonix, and thanks for the comments. What your looking for is here https://sudonix.com/topic/195/nodebb-welcome-message/3?_=1648295651358
  • [NODEBB] Help for my custom CSS

    Solved Customisation nodebb css bugfix
    258
    49 Votes
    258 Posts
    149k Views
    mark hi, Refused to apply style from ‘https://efelsefe.com/assets/customfonts/FontAwesome-6-Pro/pro/css/v4-font-face.css’ because its MIME type (‘text/plain’) is not a supported stylesheet MIME type, and strict MIME checking is enabled. I keep getting this error.
  • [NODEBB] Welcome Message

    Solved Customisation css html nodebb
    20
    2
    13 Votes
    20 Posts
    8k Views
    @DownPW the ‘js’ code for the banner takes the time from the client, so what it displays really depends on the regional settings for the operating system. I’ve not seen this issue myself but would like to see some examples of screenshots if possible.
  • NodeBB Design help

    Solved Customisation
    8
    3
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    @riekmedia I’ve applied some new CSS to your site. Can you reload the page and try again ? For the record, this is what I added #footer { background: #2d343e; border-top: 4px solid #2d343e; font-size: 0.9em; margin-top: 70px; padding: 80px 0 0; position: relative; clear: both; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; z-index: 1000; margin-left: -15px; margin-right: -338px; } The /categories page seems a bit messed up, so looking at that currently EDIT - issued some override CSS in the CATEGORIES widget <!--- CSS fix for overspill on /categories page - DO NOT DELETE --> <style> #footer { margin-right: -45px; } </style> That should resolve the /categories issue.