Skip to content

Top Ranked Forums

Chitchat
9 3 3.1k 1
  • Hope one day NodeBB will be some where 🙂

    f8bcef25-ebbf-40f5-bcf9-02fa0b9d99ac-image.png

  • Hope one day NodeBB will be some where 🙂

    f8bcef25-ebbf-40f5-bcf9-02fa0b9d99ac-image.png

    @cagatay I often wonder who compiles these “stats” and whether they even test NodeBB

  • @cagatay I often wonder who compiles these “stats” and whether they even test NodeBB

    @phenomlab 617mio posts OMG 🙂

  • @phenomlab 617mio posts OMG 🙂

    @cagatay Yeah, on phpBB too !! I thought that platform was well and truly dead.

  • @cagatay Yeah, on phpBB too !! I thought that platform was well and truly dead.

    @phenomlab Maybe its not true coz web site not working. also there is writen users 0 lol 🙂

    I used over 5 years vBulletin it was very good experiences for me. I also have one small forum powered by XenForo.

    But NodeBB is very fast and google index speed also very good. My last time is 2 hours, google bot idexed.

  • @phenomlab Maybe its not true coz web site not working. also there is writen users 0 lol 🙂

    I used over 5 years vBulletin it was very good experiences for me. I also have one small forum powered by XenForo.

    But NodeBB is very fast and google index speed also very good. My last time is 2 hours, google bot idexed.

    @cagatay Yes, there’s a lot of furore around Discorse, but having tried it myself some time ago, I didn’t like it that much. Plus, it requires containers and ruby on rails, which just doesn’t appeal to me at all.

  • Hope one day NodeBB will be some where 🙂

    f8bcef25-ebbf-40f5-bcf9-02fa0b9d99ac-image.png

    @cagatay I think -as far as I could observe- people are not building forums any more, rather than developing a website, they are directly going with “Discord”… It is probably closest to the “forums” among all social media platforms… it is already there, you can create your own discord in seconds, all the infrastructure is already provided.

    Therefore all these old forums rank very high with ancient types of forum softwares… xenforo, vbulletin, phpbb… all from the Jurassic period…

    Just a quick note, Discord and Discourse are separate, unrelated platforms…

  • @cagatay I think -as far as I could observe- people are not building forums any more, rather than developing a website, they are directly going with “Discord”… It is probably closest to the “forums” among all social media platforms… it is already there, you can create your own discord in seconds, all the infrastructure is already provided.

    Therefore all these old forums rank very high with ancient types of forum softwares… xenforo, vbulletin, phpbb… all from the Jurassic period…

    Just a quick note, Discord and Discourse are separate, unrelated platforms…

    @crazycells yes you are absolutly right but the forums need to improve byself. this is a technology age and all software language will improve itself, asp is dead. Nokia is dead 🙂

    We will see that another software will be beter than discord 🙂 it is an endless world 🙂

  • The real issue here is that most people consider forums to be “dead” in the sense that nobody uses them anymore, and social media groups have taken their place. Their once dominant stance in the 90’s and early 00’s will never be experienced again, but having said that, there are a number of forums that did in fact survive the social media onslaught, and still enjoy a large user base.

    Forums tend to be niche. One that immediately sticks out is Reddit - despite looking like it was designed in the 80s, it still has an enormous user base. Another is Stack Overflow, which needs no introduction. The key to any forum is the content it offers, and the more people whom contribute in terms of posting , the more popular and widely respected it becomes as a reliable source of information.

    Forums are still intensely popular with gamers, alongside those that offer tips on hacking etc.


Related Topics
  • Custom html in nodebb to prevent cache

    Unsolved Configure nodebb
    18
    2 Votes
    18 Posts
    5k Views
    @Panda You’ll need to do that with js. With some quick CSS changes, it looks like this [image: 1690796279348-d619844f-fbfe-4cf1-a283-6b7364f6bf18-image.png] The colour choice is still really hard on the eye, but at least you can now read the text
  • Nodebb 3.2.0

    Bugs nodebb nodebb 3.2.0
    20
    1
    2 Votes
    20 Posts
    6k Views
    @crazycells yes, I’m aware of that. Need to fix EDIT- fixed. Caused by the same CSS that is used to absolutely position the “verified” group badge in the posts view. Amended this CSS so that is specifically targets the post stream as below li[component="post"] a[href*="/groups/verified"] { position: absolute !important; left: 8px; z-index: 2; margin-top: 1px; border-radius: 999px !important; line-height: 14px; display: block; height: 22px; margin-left: 0px !important; }
  • Smart Widgets

    Solved Configure nodebb
    9
    3 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    @Panda said in Smart Widgets: So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object? It is, yes, but not if you are using it outside of a widget. The function I wrote is also historical and comes from the 2.x train
  • Email validation NodeBB

    Bugs nodebb
    21
    3 Votes
    21 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda said in Email validation NodeBB: Did you configure that as a custom change to the usual quote icon. How do you do that? I notice on NodeBB site its a solid blue quotes Yes, I changed it. NodeBB by default users the free font awesome library whereas I use the pro (paid) version SDK have access to a wider set of icons, and at different thicknesses etc. The change of colour is just simple CSS.
  • optional "snow falling" theme

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    6
    6 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @Sala ok, but that’s still the same loop which is going to have an impact on the CPU.
  • who is read NodeBB

    Customisation read post nodebb
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @cagatay You should ask in the NodeBB forums. Perhaps reference this post https://discuss.flarum.org/d/23066-who-read
  • NodeBB vs Discourse

    Chitchat nodebb discourse board
    25
    6 Votes
    25 Posts
    13k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB vs Discourse: Hetzner eh ? I use them also. In fact, Sudonix is hosted in Nuremberg yes i’m also at hetzner, i have been a customer there for years with a reseller account for domains. My VPS that I host there are also in Nuremberg
  • Best forum software?

    Chitchat forum software
    28
    10 Votes
    28 Posts
    10k Views
    @marusaky Good post. The real issue with Flarum is that even the most minor of changes requires a extension, which is crazy. With NodeBB, you can make changes on the fly very easily, and without too much effort. There is an element of learning when it comes to making changes to any platform, but Javascript is not difficult at all once you get used to it, and there’s also extensive support for jQuery (and hundreds of code snippets on the internet you can easily adapt and tailor to your own needs) For years, phpBB used to reign supreme - now it’s incredibly dated, and always did have the most confusing admin panel I’ve ever seen.