Skip to content

Netflix hints at password sharing crackdown

Chitchat
  • @crazycells Thanks for the link. That’s certainly an interesting concept!

• @phenomlab yeah, I think people would find this very useful as a download manager. It uses servers in Netherlands to download, and then you get it from there. As you and I are very decent people, we would never download copyrighted materials or pirate this kind of materials at all… And on top of this, of course we are against that. We love laws, and would pay if we want to watch movies.

But, if someone would want it to downlonad a free, uncopyrighted movie and then delete it after watching, they could do that easily with this put.io 🙂 I know this app, because Turkish programmers are behind this, but I know it is popular around the world. If someone wants 20% discount code over their yearly rate, they should just reach them before buying and ask for a discount nicely, I have a feeling that they will provide a code.

• @crazycells said in Netflix hints at password sharing crackdown:

We love laws, and would pay if we want to watch movies.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here - particularly around the point re: privacy. I expect that other people are willing to abide by the laws also, but it’s very easy to see how rising prices will simply fuel the pirate industry even further. Nobody likes to be “ripped off” or “held to ransom”, and there are always going to be those who would rather not pay at all and put up with a poor video image taken in the cinema with someone’s head bobbing up and down, or overhearing someone complain they asked for an ice cream but got a donut… 🙂

The rising costs of viewing material is what is in essence the fuel for the piracy market - not just viewing either - it used to be the case (before digital downloads of music tracks) that people were pirating CD’s because of the cost. With the onset of online music stores, that’s probably a thing of the past - I can’t recall overhearing anyone saying they spend all of their free time searching for mp3’s etc recently, unless I’m out of touch, but the film industry is encouraging piracy with the spiralling costs of attending the cinema etc - not to mention being robbed in broad daylight if you want refreshments.

• Netflix are raising prices again. Disgusting. This firm made over $2bn in profit last year, and they have the cheek to raise prices.

There’s nothing worth watching anyway!

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cq5exj06vg6o

• @phenomlab I don’t use their service, I refuse to pay for it and boy am I glad.

I struggle between that and Prime Video to find anything meaningful to watch despite there being a huge library.

Pure cheek and greed strikes again.

• @phenomlab said in Netflix hints at password sharing crackdown:

Netflix are raising prices again. Disgusting. This firm made over $2bn in profit last year, and they have the cheek to raise prices.

Let that sink in!

• @JAC Amazon Prime have squeezed in ads which i have a fundamental issue with given that I’m already paying for a prime subscription. If just another way to squeeze even more revenue in my view.

• @phenomlab Couldn’t agree more. It’s the fact we’re already paying for a product and they’re doping it up with ads.

The issue is wanting customers to pay more to remove the ads and I simply won’t do it.

• @JAC neither will I. I wouldn’t mind so much if Amazon Prime was still value for money, but it isn’t anymore. Hasn’t been for a long time.

• I was just thinking about this last night. All of these streaming services are competing to get whatever movies on their services, that you just can’t have one streaming service anymore. It sucks because unless you subscribe to all of them, which by the way would cost over $100/month, you just have to settle with what is on the one you subscribe to. You might as well go back to having cable TV because it usually isn’t much more expensive that than, or even cheaper.

You could go the route of some of the other TV streaming like Hulu or YouTube TV but you are still paying anywhere from $70 to $90 dollars. Again, cable isn’t that much more expensive. A lot of cable companies have it now where you can still watch your TV channels online from your phone or computer as well.

I honestly wish we could get rid of all these streaming services and go back to having to go to Blockbuster or your local Video rental store to get a movie. Combing down each isle to find a movie that you want to watch. Bring it home to the family, make your frozen pizza or popcorn and sit down together and watch the movie. Now with streaming everything is also so readily accessible, it is kinda crazy.

• @Madchatthew You raise some really great points here. In the UK at least, you need a TV license (to watch BBC nonetheless), plus normally you’d have either SKY or Virgin Media (Satellite or Cable) because landline TV sucks, and then the usual myriads of streaming services that cost anywhere between £5 to £15 per month depending on what you want.

As you say, this easily mounts up, and without realising it, you’re spending well in excess of what you’d consider ethical or within your own budget. The problem is that it’s so easy to subscribe to something just for one show, then forget all about it and land up paying for something you’ll never use again.

You could go the route of some of the other TV streaming like Hulu or YouTube TV but you are still paying anywhere from $70 to $90 dollars.

I do have YouTube premium. It’s quite expensive, but works well for my needs as I hate ads - the primary reason as to why there are none here on Sudonix actually 🙂 I seem to watch more YouTube videos than anything else lately.

@Madchatthew said in Netflix hints at password sharing crackdown:

I honestly wish we could get rid of all these streaming services and go back to having to go to Blockbuster or your local Video rental store to get a movie. Combing down each isle to find a movie that you want to watch. Bring it home to the family, make your frozen pizza or popcorn and sit down together and watch the movie.

I too remember these days! We’ve made huge advances from the technology standpoint, but at the same, removed the person interaction we’d typically have when you brought back a VHS cassette (ok, I’m showing my age here) and everyone sat in front of the TV eating Pizza or popcorn (or in other cases, ice cream)

I do have YouTube premium. It’s quite expensive, but works well for my needs as I hate ads - the primary reason as to why there are none here on Sudonix actually I seem to watch more YouTube videos than anything else lately.

I have been pondering about trying youtube premium lately just so I woulnd’t have to watch the ads on there. Whenever I have thought about making a website for a community, I also had the thought that I am not going to have any ads on it, because, well for one, I hate ads and there are so many sites that are so bogged down with ads these days that you the site is basically rendered inoperable. I was going to make a beard site before beards became so popular, I had thought of a couple of others too, and I wasn’t going to have any ads on it. I always thought people would appreciate that. Just knowing that you can go to a website where you aren’t inundated with ads and get to what you want to get to immediately.

@phenomlab said in Netflix hints at password sharing crackdown:

I too remember these days! We’ve made huge advances from the technology standpoint, but at the same, removed the person interaction we’d typically have when you brought back a VHS cassette (ok, I’m showing my age here) and everyone sat in front of the TV eating Pizza or popcorn (or in other cases, ice cream)

Mmmm yes or ice cream! Sometimes we would make Orange Julius’. Those were very yummy too! You always can’t forget the “Be kind and rewind” slogan on VHS rentals LOL. Otherwise it might cost you an extra 75 cents haha.

• @Madchatthew said in Netflix hints at password sharing crackdown:

Just knowing that you can go to a website where you aren’t inundated with ads and get to what you want to get to immediately.

One of the statements I can also proudly make here is that you don’t even need a popup blocker to use Sudonix. We don’t enforce ads on anyone. I just wish all websites operated in the same way. I get the need to generate revenue, but there are other ways such as paid content etc. Any website that is full of ads these days will simply be skipped by me.

@Madchatthew said in Netflix hints at password sharing crackdown:

You always can’t forget the “Be kind and rewind” slogan on VHS rentals LOL. Otherwise it might cost you an extra 75 cents haha.

Yes, I remember that. Plus the “late processing fee” if you dropped it back to the shop later than when you were supposed to.

Any website that is full of ads these days will simply be skipped by me.

Yeah I skip them as well. And as far as generating revenue, like you said, you can have paid content and even sell merchandise on your site related to your site. Even if it is t-shirts or hoodies with your logo on it or something.

I may have had to pay that late processing fee a time or two haha