Skip to content

NodeBB slow after DB recovery

Solved Performance
  • One thing I noticed was that after recovering the assets and database onto a test server: (see below)

https://sudonix.com/topic/239/testing-out-webdock-io

The performance of the replica NodeBB install was painfully slow. After much searching and hair pulling, I found that the indexes seemed to be missing - a point which is referenced by NodeBB themselves here

https://community.nodebb.org/topic/11299/slow-page-loading-on-digitalocean/12?_=1646060175987

When I checked /api/recent it was indeed slow - like a snail. So, at their suggestion, I opened up mongodb and added the missing indexes

db.objects.createIndex({ _key: 1, score: -1 }, { background: true });
    db.objects.createIndex({ _key: 1, value: -1 }, { background: true, unique: true, sparse: true });
    db.objects.createIndex({ expireAt: 1 }, { expireAfterSeconds: 0, background: true });

The difference is quite astonishing. Now it runs like the Ferrari I’ve come to love and respect ♥

Might be useful for someone else in the same boat…

• phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Why not buy me a coffee? It's a nice gesture, and a great way to show your appreciation 💗

• 1 Votes
    23 Posts
    2k Views

@DownPW it’s your only realistic option at this stage.

• 2 Votes
    8 Posts

@Panda you’d be surprised. If you consider that you’d need to use the API to be able to populate a WordPress widget for example (which in turn would of course be PHP), taking this route is still immensely popular.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts

@Panda as, yes, now I understand and that makes 100% sense. It means those who get down voted can still have an opinion and use common services.

And yes, you’re right. Rather than down vote, just ignore if you don’t agree.

• 14 Votes
    69 Posts
    5k Views

@phenomlab

Seems to be better with some scaling fix for redis on redis.conf. I haven’t seen the message yet since the changes I made

# I increase it to the value of /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn tcp-backlog 4096 # I'm uncommenting because it can slow down Redis. Uncommented by default !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #save 900 1 #save 300 10 #save 60 10000

If you have other Redis optimizations. I take all your advice

https://severalnines.com/blog/performance-tuning-redis/

• Gettin Erors NodeBB

Solved Configure
    0 Votes
    7 Posts

@phenomlab no forum is working goods.
    there is no eror message since yestarday.

• Rotating homepage icons, gifs?

Solved Configure
    3 Votes
    2 Posts

@eveh It’s not a GIF, no. It’s actually a webp file so made much smaller, and uses keyframes to control the rotation on hover. You can easily make your own though 🙂

The CSS for that is as below

@keyframes rotate180 { from { transform: rotate(0deg); } to { transform: rotate(180deg); } } @keyframes rotate0 { from { transform: rotate(180deg); } to { transform: rotate(0deg); } }

Your milage may vary on the CSS below, as it’s custom for Sudonix, but this is the class that is used to control the rotate

.header .forum-logo, img.forum-logo.head { max-height: 50px; width: auto; height: 30px; margin-top: 9px; max-width: 150px; min-width: 32px; display: inline-block; animation-name: rotate180, rotate0; animation-duration: 1000ms; animation-delay: 0s, 1000ms; animation-iteration-count: 1; animation-timing-function: linear; transition: transform 1000ms ease-in-out; }
  • NodeBB 1.19.3

Solved Performance
    4 Votes
    33 Posts
    3k Views

@phenomlab

I find the problem Mark 😉

The error message indicated this path :

http://localhost:4567/assets/plugins/nodebb-plugin-emoji/emoji/styles.css?v=6983dobg16u

I change the path url on config.json

47bacc80-f141-41e4-a261-3f8d650cc6f6-image.png

And all it’s good 🙂

Weird, I didn’t have to change that path before 1.19.3

But this does not prevent the problem from a clean install with Emoji Plugin

EDIT: After test, that resolv the problem installation for 1.18.x but not for 1.19.x (I have other error message when I run ./nodebb Setup

For resume: NodeJS 16_x with 1.18.x is ok

• CSS codes for fa-info icon

Solved Customisation
    6 Votes
    9 Posts

I have just figured it out…

it can be targeted with text-decoration-color:

I was mistakenly using color